Day 1: Flinders Ranges
The Flinders Ranges in South Australia is to many the epitome of the outback. Stretching north from Port Augusta into the sun-seared wilderness of South Australia’s deserts, the Flinders Ranges is one of the country’s most impressive outback locations. Here, surrounded by the arid wasteland of the great salt lakes, an ancient seabed has been sculpted by millions of years of rain and sun into a fractured, furrowed landscape of deep valleys covered with casuarinas and cypress pines which fall into creeks lined with river red gums.
For wildlife watching, bush-walking, photography or just soaking up the sights and sounds of outback Australia, the Flinders is in a class of its own.
It is also one of Australia's easiest outback destinations to reach.
Adelaide to Arkaba
Make your way to General Aviation Terminal at Adelaide Airport by 07:30. Meet your private charter flight departing at 08:00 arriving Hawker 08:50. While enjoying a packed breakfast your Arkaba guide will transfer you 45 minutes by road to Wilpena Pound to begin your walk. Please make sure you arrive dressed for walking.
Arkaba Homestead to Black's Gap Camp
Set off on foot through the basin of Wilpena Pound before walking onto Arkaba's private property and descend into Black's Gap Signature Camp
What to Bring:
- You are welcome to bring your own water bottle for use if you would prefer to the water bladders built into your day pack
- Hiking boots offering good ankle support and are well worn in
- Light long pants - eg zip-off leg types or shorts
- Light wicking shirts (with SPF recommended) or light cotton shirts, preferably long sleeved
- Camera and spare batteries (no charging facility available until you reach Arkaba Homestead on day three)
- Wide brimmed hat, sunglasses and sunscreen
- Small personal first aid kit including blister protection and insect repellent
- Good socks and gaiters or sock protectors for sock protection (if walking in shorts)
- A spare pair of shoes for wearing around camp in the evening
- Head torch for evenings in camp, with spare batteries
- Warm clothing for the winter months including a hat, thermals, scarf, gloves and fleece (May-August). Note: in mid-winter the nights and mornings can be very cold
- Walking poles are optional depending on your preference
- Wind cheater / waterproof jacket
- Binoculars for wildlife and bird viewing
- Swimming costume to use outdoor pool at Arkaba Homestead (in season)
- Expert field guides
- Two night's camping in deluxe swags on our signature star beds
- One night in the rustically chic 150 year old Arkaba Homestead, member of Luxury Lodges of Australia
- All gourmet meals including trail snacks
- All drinks including premium South Australian wine
- Support vehicle for transporting your luggage between camps
- Suitable hydration backpack for you to use with room for your lunch, camera and items of a personal nature
- Basic toiletries
- National park entry fees
- A donation to the Australian Wildlife Conservancy
Your Guide will Carry:
- Satellite phone and navigation aid for emergency use
- Hand held UHF radio for communication
- First aid kit
- Flora and fauna identification guides
- Expert knowledge and passion!
Scenic Flights over Wilpena Pound to gain an aerial perspective of this ancient mountain landscape
Day 2: Flinders Ranges
Black's Gap Camp to Elder Camp
A challenging hike through creeks and broken country approaching the foothills of the Elder Range to Elder Camp.
Optional: Heli-Sundowner Experience
Take in the compelling geology and ever-changing palette of the Flinders Ranges with a stunning 15 minute scenic helicopter flight. Marvel as the light changes with the late afternoon sun hitting the raw natural appeal of the outback. You’ll be treated to views of Wilpena Pound, the Chace Range to the east and Elder Range to the west – a complete 360 degree panorama of prehistoric beauty – before landing on a remote ridge top, only accessible by helicopter, to enjoy the last light of the day with canapes and sundowner drinks. This is a private experience in Robinson R44 Helicopter and operates with a minimum of 2 and maximum of 5 guests (2 trips required for 4-5 guests). Available on stays of two nights or more
Day 3: Flinders Ranges
Elder Camp to Arkaba Heritage Homestead
Walk across varying terrain through Mallee and cypress forests before ascending the beautiful Red Range for views across the neighbouring ranges and crossing Arkaba Creek to arrive at the Arkaba Homestead.
Day 4: End of Itinerary
Transfer to ADL airport
Activities and Services